[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:12:43 EST 2007

Such fluent discourse here - seems like published articles (the better
ones).
Such important issues.

If someone has the venue, I would like to present some time on:

*Experience with Judges in Cyberlibel Cases, in Especial Relation to Freedom
of Speech and Jurisdictional Reach..*

By the way, problems of take down or retraction after cyberspread - are
indeed focal and awesome. Or aweing (wd?)...

Say on.

On 11/7/07, Dan Krimm <dan at musicunbound.com> wrote:

> Milton has already said a lot of what I would say.  Inevitably I have
> additional thoughts building off of his earlier reply:
>

> At 11:15 AM +0100 11/7/07, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> >Dan Krimm ha scritto:
>
> >> Bottom line: what Milton said.
> >>
> >> In my own words:  "The distilled (if not simple) answer is that laws to
> >> establish prior restraint on data transport (if that's what you mean by
> >> "prohibit access") would violate net neutrality, but laws to prosecute
> >> carve-outs from freedom of expression ex post ("prohibit distribution")
> >> would not.  Under ex post rules, common carriers are not liable for
> >> distribution of unlawful content over their platforms."  [And to be
> clear,
> >> net neutrality is a form of common carriage, which has very deep roots
> in
> >> English Common Law.]
> >
> >Would carriers be liable if they knew?
> >For example, let's say I am a carrier and one of my users hosts nazi
> >stuff on a website at home, connected through his DSL connection.
> >Someone comes and warns me about that. Should I be allowed to terminate
> >the contract? Would I be liable if I do? Would I be liable if I don't?
>
> Common carriers are generally entirely free of any liability for carriage,
> and free of any responsibility to know what they are carrying, beyond a
> very minimal technical prerequisite (like: a car, or a data packet, to
> specification required for the transport platform).  The quid-pro-quo here
> is that in return for being free of liability, a common carrier
> *absolutely
> must not discriminate* among those wishing to be carried.
>
> What you're talking about above is a different component of service: web
> hosting as opposed to data transport.  While a single company may offer
> both services, many only offer one or the other, and the two services can
> and should still be distinguished by law and policy.  Common carriage
> policy applies to services, not firms.
>
> Net neutrality is aimed mainly at data transport per se.  Web hosting
> falls
> more into the category of publication support services (which, frankly, is
> a much more competitive market in the US than data transport, especially
> *last-mile* data transport), and publication support is more of a gray
> area.  That gray area in web hosting should not dilute the common carriage
> principle as it applies to data transport services.
>

> >And where do platform for user-generated content fit in your plan? Would
> >Youtube be responsible for illegal videos? (I'm not thinking of IPRs,
> >rather of racist videos, violent videos etc.) At least after getting
> >proper notice? From which authority?
>
> As you are no doubt aware, YouTube gets lots of takedown notices on the
> basis of IPR claims (and on occasion they get "put up" notices in return,
> claiming that the takedown notices were unwarranted -- the fight against
> [...]

Linda D. Misek-Falkoff, Ph.D., J.D.
Individual Post..
For I.D. only here:
Coordination of Singular Organizations on Disability (IDC Steering).
Persons With Pain International.  National Disability Party, International
Disability Caucus.
IDC-ICT Taskforce.
Respectful Interfaces* - Communications Coordination Committee For The U.N.
(Other Affiliations on Request).