[governance] Re: Warning over Net address limits

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Thu Nov 1 11:50:14 EDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 05:51:10AM +1100,
 Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote
 a message of 230 lines which said:

> the Internet technical community's biggest failure.

I fail to see why it's the *technical* community failure. Technically,
IPv6 works and do so for a long time. Its non-deployment is purely the
result of economical, financial and political decisions (or lack of),
without any technical issue involved.

> It doesn?t do much at all really except address the numbering
> allocation issue.

Yes, and this is one of the big problems we currently face. So it's
nice to see that at least one problem has a solution -:)

I've just visited the university of Nouakchott (Mauritania) and it has
a /24 (255 IP addresses) for its 9,000 students. That's the problem
IPv6 solves.

(Stanford University in the USA has 15,000 students and a /14, 260,000
addresses.)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org