[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Alejandro Pisanty apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Fri Nov 30 22:14:11 EST 2007

Karl,

the continued ad-hominem diatribes contained in your postings motivate me
to go once into a very different mode of discussion than we all prefer.

You will have to reconsider your language.

First of all, the non-native English speakers in this list deserve at
least that you do some serious spell-checking, as a minimal courtesy. I
know manners are beyond your preferred character of the unbounded,
unfettered spoiled three-year old brat, and begin to believe that it is
not only a rhetorical or theatrical persona which you like to assume.

Second, you will have to moderate your characterizations of people you are
talking about, and to, in negative terms. You may decide to call  uncivil
the responses you get when they finally decide to call your bluff face-on.

It will be helpful for all that you pay a more attentive ear to what
others are saying. I take your responses about the ALAC, even after
reading Jacqueline's clear rendering of the reasons why others think a
direct, one-person, etc. vote does not work to bring a voice of the users,
to mean that, as our celebrated Guillermo de Tovar y de Teresa once said,
"you don't understand that you don't understand."

I do not think that people in this group can do useful work based on
flawed assumptions and premises. The ones you profer about the ICANN Board
during the time of your presence in it belong in that category.

You went into the ICANN Board in a wild hunt against a lawyer you
disliked, and while others were hard at work looking at hard figures,
asking hard questions, designing complex systems, fighting monopolies'
attacks and trickery, and so on (admittedly with shortcomings) you chose
to ignore and belittle the people and their work. That you continue
offending them unchallenged has become inadmissible. That you continue to
try to make people accept your ideas on flawed premises, presumptions of
third parties' intentions, and blatant lies has exceeded the limits of
tolerance. The asymmetry of your making ad-hominem attacks without
response has, too.

I am very sorry to have to use more list bandwidth in this appeal for you
to consider others, their ideas, and their expressions of them with
moderation and temperance, and to repeat my appeal to look at something
different that can be made to work.

Ian Peter has joined that view too, it seems to me, and I couldn't be more
glad. On to the cybercrime issue he proposes. Let those experienced,
knowledgeable, and in good will tread those grounds.

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .
      Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5622-8540
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
  Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org