[governance] Drop ALAC altogether??

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Nov 30 21:42:13 EST 2007

Vittorio Bertola [01/12/07 10:12 +0800]:
> always coincide. In issues such as Whois, for example, we had in the At
> Large several people from consumer organizations and technical groups
> pushing for positions that are completely opposite to those of the NCUC and
> of the civil rights organizations, e.g. advocating full disclosure and
> authentication of whoever is behind a website, including individuals.

Well, at least the technical groups are going to push for full disclosure
in whois. Any and every group that is working on spam, botnets etc (and
these are not restricted to any particular stakeholder community) know the
dangers of completely suppressing whois, or introducing naïve proposals
like OPOC, and can produce quite a lot of valid reasons for full
disclosure - reasons that have to do with protecting users privacy from
being abused in a way that is going to be far more likely than the usual
reasons cited by sections of civil society for suppressing whois.

If you will accept my position that "civil society" as such doesnt exist -
it is an amorphous mass with a diverse spectrum of opinions, and little or
no hope of getting consensus on these ..

> A different question might be why do academic and civil rights groups have
> to be split, part in the NCUC and part in the ALAC (and some perhaps in
> both). That might make more sense.

Different functions for these two communities, as others suggested?

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org