[governance] bureau yes bureau no??? ... Nomenclature vs functionality

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri May 25 03:12:00 EDT 2007

Hallo Avri

I agree with this, and would be interested in and willing to
work with others who are interested on developing such a
set of procedures/methods terms of reference etc. for the
MAG.

I am sure that we can address some of the points of
people who are proposing a bureau in that way, without
introducing a completely new structure.

Anriette

> Hi,
>
> I am not thinking of backing away from the MSH format at all.  And
> you are right changing the name would be brain dead (i don't know
> what i was thinking).  though of course it would be good to have the
> MAG brand be the real brand as opposed to nickname we have given it.
>
> What I am really looking for, other then a good consensus position
> for this caucus, is a MAG that would be truly balanced  and which
> would be self renewing.  I would like to see a process where each of
> the houses in the MAG has an equal number of seats and can pick,
> through some yet to be designed process, the occupants of these seats
> using an open and transparent set of processes.
>
> To get back to what i wish i said, i think it would be useful if the
> IGC could develop and suggest such a set of methods as a
> recommendation.  BTW, this is the kind of work I had hoped the MSH
> Modalities WG (MMWG) would have done, but that group seems to be
> rather dormant if not dead.  maybe we can do the work here.
>
> a.
>

> On 24 maj 2007, at 12.18, Adam Peake wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i think this approach may make sense.  with one other caveat, one
> >> cannot call it a Bureau as that word has too much baggage and a
> >> particular meaning especially to the governments in the process.
> >> just as the IGF could not call dynamic coalitions working groups
> >> or task forces or work parties ...
> >>
> >> if the IGC were to formulate a coherent suggestion for some sort
> >> of multistakeholder reference committee (for want of a better term
> >> - i don't think this one means anything to anyone in the UN
> >> context - but whatever we call it) it might be able to garner
> >> support.  but i do think we would need to think it through for a
> >> bit first.
> >

> > Interesting that we would think of backing away from "multi-
> > stakeholder advisory group" just as the concept of multi-
> > stakeholder advisory groups are being discussed/entertained in
> > meetings about other processes ongoing in Geneva this week.
> >
> > I can only imagine how other stakeholders would respond if we
> > suggested a renaming now (incredulous, shock, amusement...)
> >
> > I see nothing wrong with the name.  I think it describes what we
> > want the group to do.  We just need to improve how it operates
> > (which we've done in various contributions and should continue.)
> >
> > Adam
> >

> >> it is in this sense, btw, that i think it was true that that the
> >> IGC has not really considered a [Bb]ureau.  certainly a few had
> >> spoken about it pro and con, but in no sense that i can identify
> >> had we really worked on or 'considered' it.
> >>
> >> a.

Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
PO Box 29755, Melville, South Africa. 2109
Tel. 27 11 726 1692
Fax 27 11 726 1692

     governance at lists.cpsr.org