AW: [governance] outcomes of CSTD Bureau meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri May 25 02:24:00 EDT 2007

At 3:45 AM +0200 5/25/07, Ralf Bendrath wrote:
>Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>>The longer New York waits with any announcement regarding the future of
>>the advisory group, the more contested its informal status will become.
>The MAG does not exist anymore, and it seems to tranform into an informal
>consultation process with no webcast nor scribes - at least that is
>the status quo at the moment.
>
>From what you write, Jeanette, would you also subscribe to this?
>"The longer New York waits with any announcement regarding the future of
>the IGF organizing structure, the more contested Nitin's (and the
>SG's) status will become."
>
>Explanatory note: I talked to some government people this afternoon
>while sneaking out of the IGF informal consultations and having a
>coffee. They were a bit surprised - to say the least - that this
>informal meeting was not announced as open. This will hit Nitin, not
>the MAG. He said yesterday at the request of Russia:
>CHAIRMAN DESAI: I think the only reference so far to meetings was that a
>further consultation like this in September. I know there's nothing
>else on my agenda between now and then.  So I'm not aware of
>anything else between that and the September meeting.

The announcement from New York was expected and had it come overnight
(Wednesday night, Geneva) then the advisory group meeting would have
been closed, held under normal procedures for such meetings (chatham
house, etc.)  But no news came, so the meeting was called open in the
morning and was described as an open meeting in the schedule at the
Palais.  As soon as it was open it was open.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org