[governance] bureau yes bureau no??? ... Nomenclature vs functionality

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu May 24 06:18:31 EDT 2007

>Hi,
>
>i think this approach may make sense.  with one
>other caveat, one cannot call it a Bureau as
>that word has too much baggage and a particular
>meaning especially to the governments in the
>process.
>just as the IGF could not call dynamic
>coalitions working groups or task forces or work
>parties ...
>
>if the IGC were to formulate a coherent
>suggestion for some sort of multistakeholder
>reference committee (for want of a better term -
>i don't think this one means anything to anyone
>in the UN context - but whatever we call it) it
>might be able to garner support.  but i do think
>we would need to think it through for a bit
>first.

Interesting that we would think of backing away
from "multi-stakeholder advisory group" just as
the concept of multi-stakeholder advisory groups
are being discussed/entertained in meetings about
other processes ongoing in Geneva this week.

I can only imagine how other stakeholders would
respond if we suggested a renaming now
(incredulous, shock, amusement...)

I see nothing wrong with the name.  I think it
describes what we want the group to do.  We just
need to improve how it operates (which we've done
in various contributions and should continue.)

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org