[governance] bureau

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed May 23 03:12:27 EDT 2007

Adam Peake wrote:
> That it had been discussed, agreed, supported at the first consultation,
> was why Nitin and many others were surprised when you brought up the
> issue again in Feb 2007.

With respect Adam, I'm not sure that that's fair.  The consultations
have not been dialogues, they have in general been a succession of
monologues, in which participants read out (for the most part)
pre-prepared statements, without the opportunity for open discussion,
and in response to which the Secretariat and Advisory Group pick out the
parts that they agree with and discard the rest without explanation.

Although there were a number of statements that expressed disagreement
with the notion of a bureau, it is a stretch to say that a decision was
made, still less a binding one that would preclude Louis from raising
the issue again now.  Nitin or others may indeed be surprised by it, but
by the same token there are more than one or two decisions that he and
the Advisory Group made that came as a surprise to many.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org