[governance] bureau

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:33:38 EDT 2007

Dear Veni, does the remark below ("Whenever there's something that
resembles, even very vague, power,
this ruins good cooperative working") also apply in your mind to some
internet governance institutions boards we sometimes discuss ? No pun
intended.

More seriously, the multi-stakeholder approach in my mind means that small
group that are often created (steering groups, advisory groups, facilitation
teams, etc...) feels it is at the service of the broader commmunity to
support its efforts in reaching consensus, rather than acting as a body of
representatives taking decisions on behalf of this larger community, like
traditional bureaus or councils do in the traditional representative
democracy approach.

Maybe we could keep that in mind while discussing theses issues. Smaller
groups should not exercise power but facilitation.

Best

Bertrand

On 5/22/07, Veni Markovski <veni at veni.com> wrote:

> Having been on the previous WSIS CS bureau, and having seen all the
> political gaming behind it, I strongly agree with Robert.
> Whenever there's something that resembles, even very vague, power,
> this ruins good cooperative working.
>
> veni
>
> At 08:26 5/22/2007  -0400, you wrote:
> >Having been on the previous WSIS CS bureau as focal point for North
> >America and Europe, let me concur with Bill Drake and others who
> >state quite clearly and quite articulately that a "Bureau for CS"  is
> >an inappropriate construct for the IGF process.
> >

> >regards,
> >
> >Robert
> >---

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no better mission for humans than uniting humans")