[governance] igc at igf consultations

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon May 21 09:22:19 EDT 2007

On 21 maj 2007, at 10.30, William Drake wrote:

> don’t see how in the time that remains we could devise a statement
> and clear it through the list as an official consensus position.

i think that is covered in the charter, and we have at least one
chair on hand.  so although we don't have the 48 hours required by
the regular process, we do have the ability to the group that is here
to work with Parminder (and Vittorio if he is around)

as a reminder:

> [...]
> overwhelming majority of the IGC appears to agree with a position
> with any dissenting minority view having been well discussed and
> respected. Rough consensus can only be called after a serious
> attempt has been made to accommodate minority points of view.
>
> When both coordinators agree that it is necessary to make a rough
> consensus call, the coordinator will announce the text of the
> consensus decision on the mailing list and allow for at least
> fourty eight (48) hours of final discussion. As discussed under the
> role of the appeals team, a rough consensus call can be appealed to
> the appeals team.
> Statements and representation at meetings
>
> Normally, whenever there is sufficient time for a statement to be
> discussed and approved by the caucus as a whole, the decision
> procedure outlined above will be required. However, there will be
> occasions when members of the caucus will be attending meetings and
> will be presented with the opportunity to make statements that
> require a very quick response. In these cases, while it is still
> required that the caucus be informed of an upcoming statement and
> its contents as soon as possible the following rule may be applied
> when necessary:
>
>    1.
>
>       The coordinators will act as the official representatives of
> the caucus and will be responsible for approving any statement that
> cannot be discussed by the caucus within the time available.
>    2.
>
>       In the case of face-to-face meetings, they will also
> coordinate with the members of the IGC who are present. Any
> statement should reflect the assumed general thinking of the
> caucus, rather than just that of those members who are physically
> present at the meeting.
>    3.
>
>       If neither of the IGC coordinators can be physically present
> in face-to-face meetings, they will delegate coordination to
> another participant of such events. This delegation should, if
> possible, be made before the meeting and with the advice of the
> caucus.
>    4.
>
>       Statements and positions on behalf of the caucus will be
> prepared and coordinated by the coordinators, or their delegate as
> appropriate.
>    5.
>
>       Such statements will reflect the vision, objectives and basic
> principles of Civil Society in general, and the IGC in particular.
> Such statements will try to interpret, in good faith, the assumed
> general thinking of the caucus, based on past discussions and
> documents, and should not contradict the positions taken by the
> caucus in the past.
>    6.
>
>       Such statements will be sent to the IGC as soon as possible,
> preferably before being presented, but if that is impossible, then
> as soon after their presentation as possible.

a.

(btw, i should point out that last week and this week i am on
contract to the IGF secretariat and do fill a liaison function from
the secretariat to CS as part of that contract.  this email had
     governance at lists.cpsr.org