[governance] Re: ICANN Accredits First Registrar in Senegal

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed May 16 13:36:56 EDT 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Sure, there are many ways to operate a TLD, especially when you do not
> see it from Marina del Rey.

Indeed.  I tend to find much of the discussion of internet governance to
  contain assumptions that might deserve to be questioned.

For instance, there is the ICANN model of registry/registrar operation
and business methods. It is an assumption that is been locked into
ICANN's notion of domain name governance. But there are different way of
doing things - http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000159.html

Internet governance also tends to assume, or at least hopes, that the
end-to-end principle will hold sway over the net.

However the net today is one with NATs, firewalls, national filters, and
  application level gateways.

And there is a subtle in user perception away from the net as a
communications vehicle to an applications platform.  This is an
important shift - the expectation is that applications will work not
that packets will be transparently conveyed end to end.

As a result we may find that the internet of tomorrow to be less a
unified mesh of IP packet connectivity and more a mesh of competing
application-platform providers that happen to have negotiated
application level gateways for those applications the providers want to
allow to extend beyond their corporate borders.

What does this mean for internet governance?

How do we embed flexibility into bodies of internet governance?

How do we prevent them from being defenders of the status quo?

What principles and biases should we construct into bodies of internet
governance - for example a preference for outcomes that adhere to the
end-to-end principle over outcomes that segment the net?

Should bodies of internet governance be constructed so that they cease
and disappear after some period of time unless given a new, limited,
lease on life through some concrete action of the community of internet
users?

Should the enactments of bodies of internet governance be of limited
duration so that they need to be re-affirmed periodically?

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org