[governance] Re: ICANN Accredits First Registrar in Senegal

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Wed May 16 06:27:34 EDT 2007

Mawaki and stephane

can you pople be very down to earth? You being too technical in your
pronouncements. I want to write an article for the local audience on
this achievement by our friend in Senegal.
What does the whole process entails, who is gaining what for which outcome?.
On a deeper note whic is the other African country to have that process
and why according to you is Africa trailing behind?

Gentlemen, you will be credited for your input.

Warmly

Aaron
On 5/15/07, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:54:49PM -0700,
>  Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote
>  a message of 35 lines which said:
>
> > that naming makes me suspect their models may vary a lot from
> > ICANN's, I mean, how they operate in terms of separating the
> > registry functions from the registrar business, etc.
>
> Sure, there are many ways to operate a TLD, especially when you do not
> see it from Marina del Rey.
>
> > I assume everyone, regardless of their geographic location, should
> > be eligible to do business in the gTLD name space, and consider 2
> > registrars in that space for the whole Africa is really, really,
> > really little.
>
> It is questionable to use a gTLD, which mean most of the money will go
> to the USA, instead of a local TLD.
>
> (I know that many people in Africa choose a gTLD because several ccTLD
> in Africa are ultra-broken or so expensive than paying US $ to
> Verisign is better. But this may change.)

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
ASAFE