[governance] Re: ICANN Accredits First Registrar in Senegal

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Tue May 15 17:11:09 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:54:49PM -0700,
 Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 35 lines which said:

> that naming makes me suspect their models may vary a lot from
> ICANN's, I mean, how they operate in terms of separating the
> registry functions from the registrar business, etc.

Sure, there are many ways to operate a TLD, especially when you do not
see it from Marina del Rey.

> I assume everyone, regardless of their geographic location, should
> be eligible to do business in the gTLD name space, and consider 2
> registrars in that space for the whole Africa is really, really,
> really little.

It is questionable to use a gTLD, which mean most of the money will go
to the USA, instead of a local TLD.

(I know that many people in Africa choose a gTLD because several ccTLD
in Africa are ultra-broken or so expensive than paying US $ to
Verisign is better. But this may change.)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org