[governance] Recommendation - Offset carbon footprint

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Wed May 16 04:09:09 EDT 2007

> ICANN meetings as well as those of the IGF have long streamed video
> and/or audio  - allowing those not present to listen in, however
> virtually nothing has been done to allow the virtual audience to
> engage the physical meeting. Panels and/or sessions that include
> virtual participants should be tried using well known, and well
> tested technologies.

I agree, but what are these technologies you're referring to?

Marratech doesn't appear to scale well - more than five people and there are
issues. And it needs heavy bandwidth.

Streaming technologies are expensive and complex and don't provide
sufficient interaction. Chatrooms are good for chat but for some reason
don't stretch over into deliberation. Ad hoc systems have an extraordinary
habit of falling over.

Real-time interaction remains extremely difficult to achieve because it
requires people to be able to hear all that happens - something that is a
consistent problem - because the disconnect is still physically there. Also
because it is difficult for a physical presence (an arm raised, a nod to the
chair) to be reproduced effectively online. And because a chair has
tremendous difficulty following things offline and online at the same time.
And so on.

Is David Allen on this list? He has much more experience than I do in these
matters.

But very far from saying this is not possible, I am thoroughly committed to
find practical solutions to this issue of effective remote participation.

If you could provide a list of software you think might be useful in this
area, I *guarantee* you that they will be put through proper testing and any
that survive real-world scenarios will be pushed for use both within the IGF
and ICANN contexts.

Kieren

     governance at lists.cpsr.org