[governance] Recommendation - Offset carbon footprint

Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.info
Tue May 15 14:32:48 EDT 2007

On 15-May-07, at 11:44 AM, McTim wrote:

> On 5/15/07, Mr. Robert Guerra <lists at privaterra.info> wrote:
>

> Those of from around WSIS/ Geneva will likely remember that the Swiss
> govt had a direct link on WSIS page for one to purchase carbon offset
> credits. Might I suggest the same thing be done by organizers of the
> IGF and ICANN meetings.
>

> How about virtual attendance?  That would be much more effective.
> I attend about 3/4 of the RIR meetings this way. It is much more
> efficient!

I was referring to those who travel to meetings.  For virtual
attendance, one would have a smaller carbon emission to compensate..

As for virtual attendance, as you may know i've long been an advocate
of using tools to allow for virtual participation and engagement. In
the ICANN and IGF context, it would be great if steps where taken to
allow for more effective remote participation and engagement during
the physical meeting itself.

ICANN meetings as well as those of the IGF have long streamed video
and/or audio  - allowing those not present to listen in, however
virtually nothing has been done to allow the virtual audience to
engage the physical meeting. Panels and/or sessions that include
virtual participants should be tried using well known, and well
tested technologies.

regards

Robert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org