[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon May 14 23:25:10 EDT 2007

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> kierenmccarthy at gmail.com 05/12/07 10:26 AM >>>
>ICANN has put out a Request for Comments on its performance.
>And since this list seems to discuss little else, I really think you
>should review it and get involved.

I think we should, too. Far from being mutually exclusive with civil
society's proposed IGF discussion of ICANN, I would suggest that the two
are complementary and mutually reinforcing.

If ICANN is serious about getting a wide-ranging set of comments from
diverse sources, it should be the foremost advocate of tying its
self-review to the IGF process. The IGF process opens what business
people call a a new "channel." Although there is about 30% overlap,
different people go to IGF and ICANN meetings. The IGF process not only
holds out the possibility of a plenary discussion, it is also (as Adam
Peake pointed out), contemplating workshops or sessions in which
international organizations such as ICANN highlight their work.  Why not
float the RFC questions there?

A good PR person (sorry, Kieren, that's essentially what you are now)
would seize that opportunity and run with it.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org