[governance] Veni and the $ 175,000

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon May 14 22:56:35 EDT 2007

Veni, $87,500 per year for two years = what? Can you do the arithmetic?

The "two" grants you refer to are one and the same. You made it sound as
if we were getting 87.5k + another 170k. You are off by 50% not 3%. And
you were flat wrong to say we didn't identify the source, because it's
the same Ford grant that was publicly announced. So I'm still waiting
for a retraction.

It's ok, everyone makes mistakes. Might be wise to be more careful when
you pounce in public, though.

What was the point of this whole conversation, anyway? Is it that there
is something wrong with funding independent sources of expertise and
advocacy about Internet governance?

If so, who will you go after next? Wolfgang K? The Oxford Internet
Institute? Amnesty International? RSF? APC? IT4Change?

I'll let you in on a dirty little secret -- they all get grants, too.

The only embarassing thing in your message is, frankly, the small size
of our budget. ;-)

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> veni at veni.com 05/14/07 9:53 PM >>>
Hi.
It's not a big deal. The big deal is about the following:

On April 22nd I wrote....

(<http://osp.syr.edu/highlights/FiscalYear2006/FebruaryHighlights.xls>http://osp.syr.edu/highlights/FiscalYear2006/FebruaryHighlights.xls),

 >where it says that Milton has received $ 87,500 from the Ford
Foundation for that
 >project, but nothing about the rest of the $ 170,000 rumoured to
have been awarded
 >to the project only by the Ford, and nothing about other donors?

... to which Milton said...

 >Whoa. There are no other donors. And there are no other funds. And
here
 >you make it clear that you have descended to the level of unfounded
 >insinuations. You have even manufactured a false, completely invented
 >number ($170,000). This is something you made up, Veni. Please
retract,
 >for the sake of your credibility

... to which I responded with an e-mail from Robert Guerra. In the
meantime I also got an e-mail with this link:
http://www.fordfound.org/grants_db/view_grant_detail.cfm?grant_id=33480
which says Milton got in fact $ 175,000, not $ 170,000. But since my
number is quite close to the real one, and I was blamed as a
manifacturer of a false, completely invented number ($ 170,000), I
felt I should come back to the list, and report where I got the
original number from - it was an e-mail from Robert Guerra. On the
Syracuse University web site the number is different - $ 87,500, so I
was just sayin, again in my email from April 22nd, that I'd like to
know who has what interests in this whole IG process.

That's it. I was just setting the facts - who said what, who provided
the information, and when. Needless to say, I don't expect an
appology from Milton - it's probably my misunderstanding of English
language, and he actually meant that the number I've made up is not
exactly the number he got from the Ford (compare $ 170,000 to $
175,000, there's a substential difference of about 3%, for which I
will punish myself with an epithalamia)

Veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org