[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon May 14 12:23:07 EDT 2007

On 14 maj 2007, at 17.12, Veni Markovski wrote:

> At 16:20 5/14/2007  +0200, Avri Doria wrote:
>
>> On 14 maj 2007, at 14.39, Veni Markovski wrote:
>>
>>> Now, it is really interesting to see if anyone will have the
>>> courage to sit down and write this as part of the RFC.
>>

>> I am not sure what courage has to do with it.
>
> Sorry - that's an example of translating from Bulgarian to English.
> Perhaps I should have used another word. The bottom line is: people
> spend time here, to talk about other people, or about ICANN, but
> they don't spend the very same amount of time to go and comment on
> iCANN performance, where they will be heard. Interesting....

Actually as I was sort of pointing out (or rather as a corollary of
what i was pointing out), if the members of this list want to send a
comment from the IGC as opposed to just  from individuals, then
discussing it on the list was absolutely the right thing to do.  In
fact instead of wasting their time, they were doing the exact sort of
thing that needs to happen on this list: discussion that evolves to a
rough consensus of a caucus position.  I am not saying we are there
yet (it is not for me to say), but i am saying that this was not a
wasted activity.  The one thing that may have been wasted activity
was having to explain why the caucus did not need to apologize or
feel bad about discussing something that is of interest to many of
the members of the caucus.

Personally i kind of hope the caucus does arrive at a caucus
statement and that they do submit it to performance-2007.  As a
member of the GSNO council, i will probably not participate in
creating such a statement because in a sense it also reflects on the
volunteer efforts (e.g. the board is composed of volunteers) and i am
one of those volunteers who value ICANN but who also want to know as
much as possible about what others think about it so that it can
continue to evolve and improve.

And i support Kieren's request that as many people, as individuals
who wish do send in their private comments.  Though I may join those
who feel he did not express himself as well as he might have when
inviting the caucus to participate (a lump of meat to a pack of
starving wolves, indeed!), I believe his intentions were good and we
should take him up on the opportunity.  Once I have had time to think
about the wording I may indeed post a recommendation that the Board
reconsider its decision on recording meetings and suggest that they
use the  GNSO and ALAC as well as the .br board as case studies in
the practicality and realities of such a practice.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org