[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Kieren McCarthy kierenmccarthy at gmail.com
Sun May 13 06:49:58 EDT 2007

Hi Bill,

I agree with you that one of the things that ICANN really needs to do is be
more confident of its successes. We all know the history, and the defensive
mentality still lingers in parties on all sides. ICANN is certainly changing
- I've seen it first-hand both inside and out the organisation - and the RFC
is a way to review those that changes that have already happened and try to
pick out a path for future changes.

As I understood it - but I've not been following it closely enough - there
was a suggestion that various Internet bodies give an update at the start of
the IGF about what they're been up in the past year. I'm sure ICANN would
sign up to that. If there's a circling of wagons though, I've missed it.

That said, I said consistently as a journalist covering the IGF that I
thought discussing ICANN as a main topic in Athens was a very bad idea. And
I actually think that doing that this year would also be a mistake.

The ideal scenario in my mind would be for every stakeholder to submit the
same single paragraph saying that the IGF should be about access in 2007. It
is shameful that we always talk about access and yet that is the one topic
that somehow never gets the spotlight. If you simply made the topic
unavoidable we might actually get somewhere. And it's only one year - we've
another three IGFs to go.

I would also like to see some future-looking guru stuff at the IGF - looking
at the future of the Internet by extrapolating from the past. That and a
review of some of the social impacts of the Internet (and they are huge) to
see if there are any lessons that can be learnt. A review of international
laws and approaches used in dealing with the tough parts of the Net -
piracy, pornography, gambling. And so on.

This sort of thing could make the IGF both practical and inspirational. I
suppose that's why I think trying to drag up ICANN and other related
organisations at this point is a bad idea. Even if it is discussed, I doubt
if any good will come of it.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with what I *can* do - which is promote open
discussions about ICANN within and around ICANN. So please do review the RFC
and put in some inputs.

Also - if people want to try out the more interactive blog and public
participation site as a way of having a conversation about this rather than
the current email-and-wait process, I would be delighted.

Kieren

  _____