[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG - content

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon May 7 04:28:42 EDT 2007

Parminder ha scritto:

> Hi All
>
> We are taking inputs on the four topic areas for the main sessions (open for
> next 24 hours before consolidation),

Given how you phrase this call, I have to point out that, personally, I
find the most crucial issues for the future of the Internet at the
crossings of IPR, consumer protection and antitrust efforts - including
net neutrality - so, with all due respect to the four proposed themes
(and support for their importance), I would not support a request that
would imply that these other matters are not being discussed any more or
are relegated to second tier.

I think that a good IGF structure would still envisage four main
sessions (plus, I think, one for the cross-cutting issues and one for
its own existential crises) and then deal with specific sub-themes
either in workshops or in additional topical sessions. It's a matter of
balance - of course you shouldn't be so vague that nothing specific
comes out of it (as in Athens, even if a lot, in the end, came out
through coalitions) but you shouldn't also be so narrow that most issues
are disregarded.

Apart from this, I think that putting out a request to discuss four and
only four topics, of which one pertains to access, zero to openness,
zero to security and zero to diversity, would make us look a bit out of
sync. Ok, the draft schedule is a draft, but I don't see the IGF getting
rid of the themed structure just because we put out a confused request
to do so. If we want to get our issues discussed, we'd better be a bit
smarter and in line with the flow.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------