[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 6 03:56:01 EDT 2007

My apologies for not being here for the last few days. Was caught up in
work, and was traveling in low connectivity areas...

Meanwhile, Milton, Bill and Adam, thanks for pushing this along.

Adam, I have a few responses to your email.

While I agree with you can we should also address issues of form apart from
content, and specifically take up stuff from the IGF secretariat document, I
have a proposal - we should separate the key thematic agenda we propose from
the other stuff. I mean separate them for IGC's internal processes of
acceptance.... Otherwise we may get caught into too many loops... I will
make the precise proposal in a separate email.

Meanwhile, I will address the issue you have raised in the 'content' part -
whether the theme 2 should be 'ICANN and core internet resources' as present
or just 'core resources' as you suggest.

You seem to suggest that ICANN is a minor details of the 'core resources'
picture, and others seem to imply that the non-ICANN is a detail elaboration
of the main public policy issues in this realm that are today best
represented in ICANN's role and activities. (though no one denies that the
standard setting role played by many other agencies as having important
public policy aspects, but there seems to  be relatively less political/
policy controversy over these, at present)

Neither side is wrong. And what is important depends on whether one is
approaching the issue from a technical management side or public policy
side. The issue here is not what is inherently important, it is what has
important public policy implications, which rent people's minds today. (That
which has greater possibility for conflicts of interests between different
groups is what is more political, and therefore becomes more important form
a public policy angle) In this light, I can t agree with your observation
that

>The only people who
> care about individual participation in ICANN are
> a few of us on this list and a hand full of
> others.

The view you take in this regard will depends on which people you spend time
with.... I think we need to understand the nature and rationale of IGF. If
it were enough that the present set determined Internet policies, we
wouldn't need WSIS and IGF. It is precisely because it was recognized that
Internet implicates everyone's interests, and with increasing intensity,
that these institutions came into being. And therefore the purpose of IGF is
to give those people who don't have access to present IG regimes greater
involvement. So, we need to take up and talk about issues that this 'greater
constituency' wants taken up - and name the issues in a manner they
understand. We have had a long discussion on this list about public policy
implications of .xxx issue, for instance. Now if you insist that the name of
the theme should be 'core resources' I think you should be expanding on what
public policy implications, as this 'greater constituency' will be
interested in, are implied by you.

>It will be dismissed as "enhance
> cooperation",

If it is 'enhanced cooperation' why should it be dismissed. Did not an
important set of issues which took up the 'enhanced cooperation' front,
important topics at WSIS, and which interested a lot of people.

it's  gift for anyone who wants to
> make sure "critical Internet resources" are not
> discussed.

I think not mentioning ICANN in our theme will be a gift to some important
people who are shying from a discussion on ICANN - which is generally a good
indicator that a discussion is badly needed.

>I think the response to (3) will be,
> "good, propose is as a workshop".

Do not understand why you say so. This theme is closest to a secretariat
'prescribed' theme - access. we are only clarifying what kind of discussion
on access fits the IGF space - its public policy/ institutions at the global
level aspects - which helps better outcomes.

> About (4). I think this is extremely important.
> Can we propose the "Topical Issue" session become
> a session discussing the IGF mandate to see if
> it's  providing the right direction for the
> following years.

It appears that the meaning that the secretariat document ascribes to
'topical' is very different. They speak of 'an issue that arose in recent
months' and give the example of the earthquake in the South China sea, and
that such an issue should be determined 2 months before IGf meeting... so I
don't think IGF mandate theme will fit there.

Thanks

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore