[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG

Louis Pouzin pouzin at well.com
Sat May 5 22:06:15 EDT 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 15:27:38 +0900, Adam Peake wrote:

>ICANN should not be the focus, too narrow a subject for a main session.
>The only people who care about individual participation in ICANN are a
>few of us on this list and a hand full of others.  It will be dismissed
>as "enhance cooperation", it's  gift for anyone who wants to make sure
>"critical Internet resources" are not discussed.  Would be naive to
>propose in this way.

>If you want to make sure "critical Internet resources" is buried, this is the way to do it.

The text related to this topic (submitted by Bill Drake on 2 May 2007 08:39:34 +0200) reads:

>(2) ICANN and Core Internet Resources

>Core Internet resources should be discussed as a main session in the IGF.
> Policy toward "critical Internet resources" are a major topic  in the
>Tunis Agenda and the mandate for the IGF. Currently, name and number
>resources are administered by ICANN and the Regional Internet Registries.
> This session should discuss the policy issues and policy making
>processes in these institutions. In particular, ICANN's status as an
>international organization, its representation of individual users, and
>the changing role of the  GAC within ICANN should be discussed.

I'd suggest a slight expansion of the last sentence:

« In particular, ICANN's status as an international organization, its representation of individual users, its monopolistic aggregation of conflictual functions, and the changing role of the GAC within ICANN should be discussed. »

Rationale:

a- Name resources administered by ICANN are not inclusive. They are limited to those approved by ICANN.

b- Administering the introduction of new names, coupled with the selection of registries, and the resulting financing of ICANN is a highly questionable instance of conflict of interests.

c- The monopoly enjoyed by ICANN, backed by the US gov, is detrimental to users interests. Competition should be explored.

Would this make for a sleeper session ?

Cheers
     governance at lists.cpsr.org