[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat May 5 02:27:38 EDT 2007

Milton, thanks for persevering with this.

I think the statement must also say what we do
support -- what parts of the proposed program are
we pleased to see (attempt to make a more
coherent agenda, while still allowing open
workshops and general "open call", better
suggestions about duration of sessions?
Multi-stakeholder principles reinforced.  etc.)

Do we agree with the basic "Basic Meeting
Structure" (section 2 of the draft program).  Do
we have anything to say about dynamic coalitions?

I would say yes to all of this section, except I
think discussion of core resources must be the
subject of a main session.

Are we OK with "3 Meeting Types"  (only thought
is "best" practise must also include lessons
learned, hearing about what not to do can be as
valuable as people boosting their own work.)

I am not sure I understand "speed dialogue" but why not hear more about it.

"6. Content" seems to be what our statement focuses on.

I hope we can propose "core resources" as a main session.

I do not support the way we propose to address
"critical Internet resources" at the moment:

At 9:21 AM -0400 5/4/07, Milton Mueller wrote:
>(2) ICANN and Core Internet Resources
>
>Core Internet resources should be discussed as a main session in the
>IGF. Policy toward "critical Internet resources" are a major topic  in
>the Tunis Agenda and the mandate for the IGF. Currently, name and
>number resources are administered by ICANN and the Regional Internet
>Registries. This session should discuss the policy issues and policy
>making processes in these institutions. In particular, ICANN's  status
>as an international organization, its representation of individual
>users, and the changing role of the  GAC within ICANN should be
>discussed.

ICANN should not be the focus, too narrow a
subject for a main session. The only people who
care about individual participation in ICANN are
a few of us on this list and a hand full of
others.  It will be dismissed as "enhance
cooperation", it's  gift for anyone who wants to
make sure "critical Internet resources" are not
discussed.  Would be naive to propose in this way.

If you want to make sure "critical Internet
resources" is buried, this is the way to do it.

Suggest quoting the whole of 72 a in (1) of our statement.

Rest of the statement's fine.  Although seems
overlapping. I think the response to (3) will be,
"good, propose is as a workshop".

About (4). I think this is extremely important.
Can we propose the "Topical Issue" session become
a session discussing the IGF mandate to see if
it's  providing the right direction for the
following years.  Associated workshops would
flesh out some of the items in 72 and bring them
to the main session.  (Discussing topical issues
might be interesting in workshops or could become
part of best practise: what were the best ways to
cope with Taiwan earth quake and cut cables...)

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org