[governance] Draft IGC Workshop Proposal

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Jun 25 07:29:19 EDT 2007

William Drake wrote:
> B. Whether some or all of the functions enumerated in the mandate are
> important, value-adding, activities that are not being performed
> elsewhere, would benefit the global community, and are uniquely suited
> to the IGF;
> C. Operationally practical steps that could be pursued on a consensual,
> multistakeholder basis by the IGF community in order to perform those
> functions identified in B, above.

Is this an invitation for the private sector, Internet technical
community, OECD countries and Secretariat to say "No, X paragraph of the
mandate is not important/value-adding/beneficial/uniquely suited, so no
action is required under C"?

Perhaps reword this so that it does not presuppose that there are some
paragraphs of the mandate that should no longer be pursued.  How about
simply combining points B and C (but remaining close to the agreed
wording from our February submission) to read:

B. Since these critically important, value-adding functions cannot be
performed by any existing Internet governance mechanism, what
operationally practical steps could be pursued on a consensual,
multistakeholder basis by the IGF community to fulfil these and other
elements of its mandate?

In any case, I will support either wording rather than block agreement.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org