Objectives - Re: [governance] Draft proposal for IGC workshop

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 22 09:27:55 EDT 2007

In my personal opinion (which applies to all of this email), I would prefer
to stick to the agreed text which, to the extent Meryem's and Bill's
positions are different, is closer to Bill's position.

I appreciate Meryem's point of view but (as she herself doubts), there may
be some difficulty in getting caucus's consensus on her approach to this
issue in the short time we have.

And the two approaches are not that different in the discussion space they
create (though I can see the difference). For instance, in discussing p 72,
the present structures can and will come up for discussion. It will entirely
be in keeping with the overall objectives as stated in the 'agreed text' to
discuss such issues.

This text apart from referring to Tunis agenda does mention

"Since these critically important, value-adding functions cannot be
performed by any existing Internet governance mechanism, nor by annual
conferences built around plenary presentations from invited speakers, the
purpose of this main session would be to foster an open and inclusive
dialogue on how the IGF could fulfill these and other elements of its
mandate."

The first part of this para does bring the structure of IGF into discussion,
and the part 'how the IGF could fulfill these and other elements of its
mandate ' obviously gives space to discuss the manner of its present
working. I think we need not move from the present agreed text at all - and
only make small changes that must be made for it to conform to the IGF's
form. We can put the present agreed text  in the most important first part
about a concise description of the workshop. Then question 3 about why the
workshop is important alone needs a perfunctory line or two.  The question 4
is about conformity with Tunis agenda because our workshop has the mother of
all conformities, in seeking IGF's conformity to TA.

Rest are issues of co-sponsorship and partnerships, which we can discuss...

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890