Panelists - Re: [governance] Draft proposal for IGC workshop

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Jun 22 06:39:06 EDT 2007

Thanks Jeremy and Adam for your comments and suggestions.

Regarding panelists, as I mentioned my point is to try avoiding
picking one or the other on the basis of usual criteria relevant for
a workshop on a given substantive issue. Here, the objective of the
workshop being a general assessment of the state of the IGF, what we
need is to have the main players as panelists, and that these players
be incarnated by individuals acting in this capacity.

Who are these players? Back to the TA: "governments, business
entities, civil society and intergovernmental organizations" (73.a).
Plus of course Secretariat and MAG, as the heart of IGF processes
though with different roles each. Including "Internet Community" not
only would need to include also the "Academic community", but, more
importantly, would transform a natural question to be discussed as
part of the whole assessment (which is about the legitimacy and
representativity issues) into an accepted and supported situation.

Regarding governments: yes, Janis Karklins would be the best option
given the references to the TA. In addition, this would avoid two gov
representatives, which would be necessary in case we go for IGF host
countries.

Regarding IGOs: Jeremy, it's not about having "IGF cynics" or "IGF
enthusiasts", but about avoiding to ask (or to be asked) why this one
and not the other. ITU was WSIS organizer, that's it.

Yes, very male list, very male world... We're first to blame: two
male coordinators for this caucus.. But, although I wont say this
twice, the business sector may save the honor:))

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org