[governance] IGC sponsored IGF workshops

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Jun 20 17:30:46 EDT 2007

Hi Karen, and all,

Le 20 juin 07 à 20:03, karen banks a écrit :

> quote from meryem:
>
> [...]
>> The question remains: would members of this caucus agree that its
>> coordinators approach the secretariat to discuss such a proposal.
>
> i'm sorry if i've missed something here..  is the intent to
> approach the IGF secretariat to guage whether this is something
> that might be interesting? and then proceed?  if people thanks
> that's useful, why not?

It's rather about approaching the secretariat to co-sponsor this
workshop with IGC, as it would be the solution to the - suspected -
difficulty to obtain any co-sponsoring from other stakeholders, with
the risk of this supposedly "objective" criterion of mandatory MS
sponsorship being applied. Actually, I don't think the proposal is
less controversial than e.g. critical internet resources. And I infer
from a recent discussion on this list that, since it would be too
blatantly biased to use the "controversy" criterion, this "objective"
criterion has been put forward. But they are strictly equivalent in
practice.

APC or any other CS co-sponsorship would be fine and welcome, but
it'd still be a CS-only proposal. Actually, my opinion is that it
would be better that IGC be the only CS co-sponsor, to show that it's
a true common CS concern (which doesn't mean that we have a unique
understanding of IGF role's and mandate, simply that we all think
this issue should be clarified). Moreover, I share Parminder's
opinion that the secretariat itself should organize it, alone, and
that IGC initiating this process is the only way to overcome the
secretariat's failure.

> otherwise, it's more who would be involved in developing the
> workshop proposal

I can try to propose a first draft description in the following days,
but have first to check what the caucus already provided as comments
on the issue: best to start with already agreed text.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org