[governance] IGC sponsored IGF workshops

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 19 21:38:31 EDT 2007

I am once again coming back on it, but if there is no further response, I
wont persist.

I think it should be natural for any public organization to have an open
self-reflective exercise, taking inputs form the widest constituency it
represents. Geneva based consultations are so much narrower than what can be
expected at full sessions of IGF in its annual meeting.

So, the point is - does the caucus want to sponsor a workshop on IGF's role
and mandate. If we don't it appears no one else is going to. I would think
the secretariat itself should do it.

It should be natural in view of so much discussion on this issue on this
list, and also because we have already approved of this theme, with a
paragraph of elaboration for main sessions. I cant see why we would have
wanted it in the main sessions, and now that it is not there, we don't want
a workshop.

If we are going to have only one workshop, this one is my personal
preference (not said in capacity of a co-coordinator) and which also, in my
view, seems to have had  some support here.

Milton is going ahead with working on the 'public policy/ technical policy
workshop' and the caucus will need to tell him/ IGP is we are co-sponsoring.

Bill is working separately on something close to our development agenda
workshop proposal, so that theme will be covered as well.

Karen's proposal for the clearing house role for IGC for workshops that
members may hold on their own is on.... But we haven't heard much.

Meanwhile, I will be happy if anyone can help us get ICANN and any private
sector entity on for our proposed workshop on 'management of core internet
resources on commons and public interest principles'. We will also seeking
at least one government's sponsorship, and that of some other CS/ public
interest groups interested in this area.  Thanks.

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890