[governance] request IG Caucus to join coalition / sign global petition to protect free expression at ICANN

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Mon Jun 18 21:28:04 EDT 2007

Dear Internet Governance Caucus,

I am writing to invite the WSIS Internet Governance Caucus to sign-on to
a global petition to the ICANN Board to protect freedom of expression
and innovation in domain name policy at ICANN. The petition is below.

The "Keep the Core Neutral" campaign will officially launch on 27 June
at the San Juan ICANN Board meeting. We would like to have an initial
set of coalition members who have signed the petition upon launch on the
27th.

There is more detailed info on this issue at:
http://ipjustice.org/wp/campaigns/internet-governance/icann/gtlds/
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/new-gtlds/

Also, please keep an eye on the coalition webpage in the next week as we
gather coalition members and initial signatures to the petition:
http:www.keep-the-core-neutral.org

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on this campaign
or petition.

Thank you very much!
Robin

==================

Global Petition to ICANN Board of Directors: “Keep the Core Neutral”

Everyone has the right to seek, receive and impart information and ideas
without interference through any media, including cyberspace.

As the new generic top-level domain name space emerges and policy
choices are made about how ideas may be expressed at the Internet’s
top-level, we ask ICANN to keep the core neutral of non-technical
disputes and choose policies that respect freedom of expression and
permit innovation in the new domain name space.

Encouraging the free flow of information is a foundational principle of
public policy decisions related to information and communication
technology. Freedom of expression rights, which are fundamental in an
Information Society, foster democratic participation, individual
empowerment, and economic development.

Cyberspace remains a unique and special place that bridges ancient
divisions, where diverse communities interact readily, and all views are
welcome. But only if these attributes are valued by policymakers who set
Internet governance rules and incorporated into policies about how ideas
may be expressed in domain names.

We ask that ICANN stay within its technical mandate and refrain from
embedding particular national, regional, moral, or religious policy
objectives into global rules over the use of language in domain names.
It would be dangerous “mission-creep” for ICANN to adjudicate between
conflicting policy objectives and set global standards for expression
that are enforced through ICANN’s technical function. Please do not
allow ICANN to become a convenient lever of global control by those
seeking to censor unpopular or controversial expression on the Internet.

We urge ICANN to resist any attempt to limit what ideas may be expressed
at any level of the Internet hierarchy. Please keep the Internet’s
technical core neutral from national or other ideological conflicts,
allowing freedom and innovation to flourish in cyberspace.

Signed,

[Individuals or groups may sign.]

     governance at lists.cpsr.org