[governance] IGF workshop approval criteria

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sat Jun 16 17:34:31 EDT 2007

William Drake wrote:
> Hi Jeanette,
>
> On 6/16/07 5:43 PM, "Jeanette Hofmann" <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill, I agree with Adam here. We both advocated multi-stakeholderism
>> as a selection criteria already last year. The fact that we did not get
>
> I of course am not aware of what has been advocated by whom in mAG or why,
> but that's not an argument.
>
>> more applications as available slots for Athens doesn't mean that the
>> selection criteria as such doesn't count.
>
> The fact remains that it wasn't applied last year and there's been no public
> notification until Adam's message yesterday that things will be different
> this year.

It would have been applied last year if we have had more proposals.

>> The Internet Governance Project co-organized a workshop with UNESCO last
>> year. It is possible to cooperate with IOs even if its not always easy.
>
> UNESCO's remit is precisely on freedom of expression so Milton was able to
> get them on board,

Actually it was me who organized the cooperation.

but one happy alignment of interests hardly illustrates a
> generalizable principle.

It was much less easy than that. I am fully aware of the complications
we run into when we try to put multi-stakeholder into practice. Still I
believe it is important that we learn how to handle these matters.

Does it logically follow that Parminder could get
> ICANN to support a ws on core resources as global public goods,

I am not sure ICANN is the only potential partner for such a topic but I
am pretty sure ICANN would attend the workshop if Parminder would
organize it.

that I could
> get the ITU to co-sponsor a ws on NGN's potential impact on net neutrality,
> and so on?

I feel tempted to point out basic truths: the simple reason why we
advocate the multi-stakeholder approach is that many issues cannot be
solved without boundary crossing cooperation involving multiple actors.
The IGF is a space to facilitate this kind of exercise. There are plenty
  of venues for discussions we want to have among ourselves...

  I already went through this last year when I was talked out of
> submitting a proposal on implementation of the WSIS principles

That is different. And I certainly didn't talk you out of anything - I
wouldn't. I am not censuring topics, I want the multi stakeholder
approach to evolve.

on the
> grounds that no governments, industry or IOs on or off the mAG would want
> such a ws to happen (you'd think I was proposing a ws on implementation of
> Comintern principles, rather than something repeatedly endorsed by 174
> governments et al).
>
>> I very much believe in this model of multi-stakeholder cooperation also
>> or even especially on the level of _organizing_ discourse. I would
>
> Meaning that the only acceptable discourse in the IGF is that on which
> everyone agrees?

No, it doesn't mean that. Not at all.
jeanette
  To me, that's a repressive perversion of

     governance at lists.cpsr.org