[governance] IGF workshop approval criteria

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat Jun 16 13:04:47 EDT 2007

Hi Jeanette,

On 6/16/07 5:43 PM, "Jeanette Hofmann" <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Hi Bill, I agree with Adam here. We both advocated multi-stakeholderism
> as a selection criteria already last year. The fact that we did not get

I of course am not aware of what has been advocated by whom in mAG or why,
but that's not an argument.

> more applications as available slots for Athens doesn't mean that the
> selection criteria as such doesn't count.

The fact remains that it wasn't applied last year and there's been no public
notification until Adam's message yesterday that things will be different
this year.

> The Internet Governance Project co-organized a workshop with UNESCO last
> year. It is possible to cooperate with IOs even if its not always easy.

UNESCO's remit is precisely on freedom of expression so Milton was able to
get them on board, but one happy alignment of interests hardly illustrates a
generalizable principle.  Does it logically follow that Parminder could get
ICANN to support a ws on core resources as global public goods, that I could
get the ITU to co-sponsor a ws on NGN's potential impact on net neutrality,
and so on?  I already went through this last year when I was talked out of
submitting a proposal on implementation of the WSIS principles on the
grounds that no governments, industry or IOs on or off the mAG would want
such a ws to happen (you'd think I was proposing a ws on implementation of
Comintern principles, rather than something repeatedly endorsed by 174
governments et al).

> I very much believe in this model of multi-stakeholder cooperation also
> or even especially on the level of _organizing_ discourse. I would

Meaning that the only acceptable discourse in the IGF is that on which
everyone agrees?  To me, that's a repressive perversion of
multistakeholderism, precisely the opposite of the opening up I thought we
were working for.  Maybe the IGF should use a smiley face as its logo.

> therefore also first drop workshop proposals that are not
> multi-stakeholder in case there are more than slots available.

Good to know, thanks.

If the principle is to be elevated to an absolute requirement this year, I
do hope it will be applied equally to all proposals from all stakeholders.

On 6/16/07 5:41 PM, "karen banks" <karenb at gn.apc.org> wrote:

> and one thing that still isn't clear to me - are we talking about a criteria
> that there must be *multiple stakeholders* (ie, more than one) or *all
> stakeholders* which would include specifically, CSOs, government, business and
> international organsiations?

We're following the underspecified rules that were largely ignored both by
proposers and the mAG last year.  Simple inferential process, Karen.

Cheers,

Bill

William J. Drake  drake at hei.unige.ch
Director, Project on the Information
  Revolution and Global Governance/PSIO
  Graduate Institute for International Studies
  Geneva, Switzerland
http://hei.unige.ch/psio/researchprojects/Drake.html

     governance at lists.cpsr.org