[governance] IGF workshops

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 15 11:21:47 EDT 2007

> Since there was no follow-up discussion on joint caucus proposals and
> subsequent dialogues underscored the diversity of perspectives here and
> the
> difficulty of reaching agreement, I decided to revert to my original plan
> of
> doing something on a coalition of the willing basis, as per all the
> CS-initiated workshops at Athens.  So I'm going to propose a workshop on a
> Development Agenda that builds on the meeting I organized in Geneva in
> February and the GigaNet cluster on the same.  The framing parallels the
> GigaNet wording and is hence different from the two sentences included in
> the caucus themes proposal, which focused on "disadvantaged peoples'
> access
> to, and effective use of, the Internet."  We added the DA clause to the
> title but didn't elaborate on it amidst all the debate on the core
> resources
> theme, so I'm drilling down into this aspect.  Anyway, bottom line, there
> will be a proposal that is more or less compatible with,
>
> > (2) Global Internet policies Impacting Access to and Effective Use of
> the
> > Internet by Disadvantaged People and Groups - The Development Agenda in
> IG

Bill

Do you want to do it only as giganet and any other partners you may be in
contact with, or will like to explore IGC co-sponsorship. I mean, if we as
IGC is going to do workshops, it of course will be with partners. And often
other partner may play the key organizing etc role. I am only making a
suggestion, it is of course up to the giganet group and others who are
already planning to decide on their partnerships plan.

Anyway, I am very fine with the giganet formulation which focuses on
'institutional reform' rather than the phrase from our May proposal that you
quoted. For those who may not have seen the paragraph on development agenda
in giganet's call for papers, I am quoting it below. Correct, me, if the
basic concept of development agenda for the proposed rio workshop is
different.

"In recent years, developing countries, civil society organizations, and
concerned academics have sought to promote broad "development agendas" for
reform of the international regimes and organizations dealing with such
issues as trade, debt, and intellectual property. But in the field of
Internet governance, no parallel initiative has taken shape. Developing
countries and other stakeholders did call for what they  said were
pro-development institutional reforms during the World Summit on the
Information Society (WSIS) process, but their suggestions were not
systematically explored as elements of a coherent development agenda.
Moreover, there was no broad consensus among the proponents as to what kinds
of reforms would actually promote development, as opposed to satisfying more
specifically political demands. In the post-WSIS environment, discussions of
development have tended to focus on capacity building rather than on
institutional reforms."(from giganet's call for papers for rio meeting of
giganet)

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore