[governance] IGF workshops

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jun 15 04:38:17 EDT 2007

Parminder: good suggestion.

None of the following has yet been discussed on
the advisory group list, my opinion only:

My guess is demand for workshops will be higher
this year -- IGF's better known and more will
notice it's an opportunity (free) to put on a
workshop in a quite prominent space.  Workshops
will have an audience of between 200-300 people
so are quite large events in their own right.

Last year all workshop proposals were accepted.
The schedule was adjusted so this was possible
(workshops held over lunch, which was not
originally planned) A few on the same theme were
asked to merge (but that's reasonable, yes?)
Some that better met the criteria
(multistakeholder organization, relevance to the
main themes) were given a choice of times or
perhaps a larger room, but all could be accepted.

If demand for workshops is greater than the
number of available slots --even after merging of
like themes-- then it will be necessary to reject
some.  I think demand may well exceed supply.
Most likely group to do this accepting/rejecting
is the advisory group. And I suspect the first
criteria for judging proposals will be if the
workshop has a real multistakeholder organizing
team behind it.  Proposals from the caucus will
be good, certainly would show broad civil society
support, but involving other stakeholders will be
essential. Regional diversity also positive.
Just my opinion.

I do not believe "controversial" topics will be
rejected simply because some might consider them
controversial.  Last year there were two workshop
proposals on DNS related topics.  Both had
multi-stakeholder organizers, they were accepted,
and to the best of my memory during advisory
group discussions neither were challenged at any
time for any reason.

Working on details of criteria for workshops
would have been the type of issue the advisory
group discussed had it met in a closed session
last month.  Just not easy to get into detail in
an open session.  So the process is behind on
issues such as this.

About the themes and number of proposals the
caucus might work on.  The deadline is 30 June
2007.  The caucus is not very good at reaching
decisions.  I suggest that the three you suggest:

(1) Global Internet Public Policy - Issues and Institutions
(2) Global Internet policies Impacting Access, etc
(3) The Role and Mandate of the IGF.

will likely be more than we can manage.  If there
is be competition for slots, solid proposals will
be necessary.

Given Bill's comment that he's developing a
proposal on development agenda and tieing it to
giganet etc, I suggest the caucus focus on 1 and
3.   It will be a lot of work for you and
Vittorio to coordinate.

I wouldn't expand into Access etc.  Let CS groups
expert on the area do a job without confusion of
the caucus' "consensus".  And I think privacy
safe with the coalition (Ralf Bendrath etc.)

But I am surprised you don't mention critical Internet resources.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org