[governance] IGF financing

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Jun 14 09:10:25 EDT 2007

It is clear IGF does not need contributions from all 174+ govs who
agreed to create it -- if they (and more) did it, fine, but the total
budget (including a far more significant amount to make sure Southern
interest groups are better represented) is not a big one. I would
suggest a cap (no one would contribute more than, say, 15% of the total
budget, and there are no strings of any kind attached to any
contribution), to make sure no single entity provides a big enough chunk
of funding which would enable it to leverage decisions in its favor.
Yes, and it would of course be open to contributions from
non-governmental entities as well (pluralist participation and pluralist
funding).

--c.a.

Robert Guerra wrote:
> let's not forget that the government of Canada announced at the last IGF
> open consultation that they were contributing 100, 000 dollars
> exclusively for IGF fellowships . Perhaps not picked up on this list,
> but something that is significant.
>
> At today's exchange rate, that is approx 93,670 USD or 70,381.264  € .
> If only other govts did the same we'd have funds not only for
> participation but also for a slightly larger secretariat.
>

> regards,
>
> Robert
> ---
> Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.ca>
> Managing Director, Privaterra
> Tel +1 416 893 0377
>

> On 13-Jun-07, at 3:43 AM, William Drake wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 6/11/07 6:44 PM, "Bertrand de La Chapelle"
>> <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'd be happy to learn what your own preference would be, what
>>> concrete solution you favor : just governments ? or just the UN ? or
>>> just some international organizations ? The key question is, again :
>>> what is the appropriate financing structure for the IGF in order to
>>> guarantee regularity of resources and independence from lobbies and
>>> pressure groups ? Can we address this issue calmly, with the
>>> attention it deserves ?
>>>
>> ------
>>
>> According to this news item from yesterday,
>> www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/12/igf_nominet_2007/
>>
>> “Kummer has spent much of the last six months trying to win more
>> funding. At a meeting at Parliament last week, hosted by Nominet, the
>> not-for-profit which operates the .uk registry, the Department of
>> Trade and Industry announced it had found £23,000 down the back of its
>> sofas (the Swiss government has donated $500,000).”
>>
>> 174 states & the EU signed off on the Tunis Agenda creating the IGF.
>> If just ten more could find some chump change in their sofas
>> (equivalent to about a nanosecond of their foreign affairs budgets, or
>> maybe one cocktail break at the G8), we (taxpayers all---to two
>> countries in the case of us unfortunate US expats) wouldn’t need to
>> have this conversation, the IGF could have something more like a
>> secretariat, and Markus could refocus his energies.  To me the
>> question is not can we shake micropayments out of individual taxpayers
>> and financially marginal NGOs, but rather what sort of game are the
>> governments playing here.
>>
>> Two cents,
>>
>> Bill

Carlos A. Afonso
Rio       Brazil
Projeto Sacix - Apoio técnico a iniciativas de inclusão digital
com software livre, mantido pela Rits em colaboração com o
Coletivo Digital. Para mais informações:
www.sacix.org.br   www.rits.org.br   www.coletivodigital.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org