[governance] IGF financing

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Jun 13 21:01:01 EDT 2007

With all respect for the work of auDA (I do not think Chris was writing
in the name of auDA, or at least I hope so), threatening to pull funds
if the IGF and the MAG "do not behave" regarding certain interests is
what? And this threat does reflect poorly on the folks who did it,
unfortunately. I would like to read an apology from Chris and his group
regarding this, and I think Kummer's response was right to the point,
and certainly more diplomatic than mine.

frt rgds

--c.a.

David Goldstein wrote:

> Carlos,
>

> You’re comment regarding an intent to
> blackmail by Chris Disspain is totally inappropriate. Yes, I am a board member
> of auDA. But this in no way makes a difference to my response to the spurious allegations made
> about Chris on this list, and about which Jeremy Malcolm has already posted a
> response from Chris refuting these comments.
>

> Comments such as these reflect poorly on
> the IGF’s stakeholders. And given this is in a financing thread, you would have
> to ask, who would want to fund a body that makes such comments?
>

> I passed on the comments to Chris, and he’s
> suggested, if I want, I could post the complete text of his comments, which are
> below. Any reasonable person reading these comments would see there is no
> intent on “blackmailing”. The text below makes it perfectly plain that keeping “critical
> internet resources” off the agenda is NOT what this was about.
>

> To suggest any intent to blackmail is a
> serious allegation, and in this case is one that cannot be sustained.
>

> David
>

> A number of advisory group members met
> tonight to discuss today's meeting and I am sending this to you and the list to
> express our concerns.
>

> Firstly, we were under the impression that even though the advisory group has
> yet to be officially reconstituted we were meeting here following yesterdays
> open consultation as the advisory group in anticipation of formal approval from
> the Secretary General. In fact this meeting has turned into another open
> consultation seeking to set the agenda for and structure of the igf.
>

> I want to make it clear that most of us have no problem with critical internet
> resources being an agenda item in a main session if agreed. Rather, we are
> concerned that there appear to be fundamental changes being mooted which are
> unacceptable to and may lead to the withdrawal of some non government and
> perhaps even government participants.
>

> Overall the topics and format of Athens were a success and to ensure the continued
> enrolment of all stakeholders should be maintained.
>

> Chief amongst our concerns is the concept, that seems to have been 'agreed' in
> today's session, of final recommendations arising from the igf. In effect, a
> negotiated document. This is way outside of the mandate of the igf and is,
> simply, unacceptable to the majority of non government people here.
>

> We are dismayed that this meeting seems to have been taken over by government
> officials well versed in international manoeuvring or 'UN games'. It is likely
> that this will marginalise the legitimate concerns and interests of developing
> countries for whom issues such as access are key. This is not what these
> meetings were intended to be.
>

> There is a grave danger that financial support and general involvement of non
> government participants will be withdrawn.
>

> I intend to raise these issues at the meeting in the morning but thought it courteous
> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
Rio       Brazil
Projeto Sacix - Apoio técnico a iniciativas de inclusão digital
com software livre, mantido pela Rits em colaboração com o
Coletivo Digital. Para mais informações:
www.sacix.org.br   www.rits.org.br   www.coletivodigital.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org