[governance] IGF financing

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:44:36 EDT 2007

Wow, interesting.

Should I consider myself not cautious or clever enough :-) for daring to
utter an idea like : "a multi-stakeholder forum could/should be financed in
a multi-stakeholder way ?" And remember I indicated with appropriate rules
of transparency.

I'm afraid your reply is not of the same tune as my modest contribution and
the tonality is a bit harsh, as if I were suggesting something horrendous. I
respect your position, as usual, but as I suppose you are speaking in a
personal capacity and not as coordinator, maybe we should let people discuss
it. That's the purpose of this list, isn't it ?

I am not sure this question can simply be brushed aside by your answer. And
I'm not sure we understand the same thing when we speak of multi-stakeholder
financing. In particular, you did not mention the distinction I was making
between "automatic resources" and "ad hoc resources". Do you think that a
foundation providing transparent financing to a Dynamic Coalition would be
bad ?

Anyway, I'd be happy to learn what your own preference would be, what
concrete solution you favor : just governments ? or just the UN ? or just
some international organizations ? The key question is, again : what is the
appropriate financing structure for the IGF in order to guarantee regularity
of resources and independence from lobbies and pressure groups ? Can we
address this issue calmly, with the attention it deserves ?

In any case, using words like "what recently happened at IGF would be
scandalous. In some countries it will veer towards criminal" was not
necessary to make your point. Especially in a response to that post. Unless
you imply - without saying - that those words are applicable to what I
mentionned or you hope I might be encouraged to shut up by fear of being
accused of the above. In such a case, I sincerely hope we can avoid this on
this list. There are enough important issues that need to be discussed in a
mature manner, and I am merely, as usual, trying to provide some
constructive input.

Best as ever

Bertrand

--