[governance] IGF financing

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 11 12:02:34 EDT 2007

No Bertrand, Multistakeholder financing is a very bad idea. And, an even
worse principle. When we speak MS, I am often afraid this idea is lurking
somewhere. But most people are cautious/ clever enough not to mention it
expressly. In fact, that’s the big difference between how things,
less-than-ideally, may actually be, and when we openly start articulating
such things as acceptable principles.

When Milton said, it is simple – those who fund IGF will push their agenda,
and so those others who want their agenda pushed should step up their
contribution – I responded that however practical it be, this looks like a
principle which will take us to not good outcomes at all – for CS and for
public interest. For instance, I want my agenda pushed, what should I do. I
don’t have money to contribute. And I cant go to my government (per Milton’s
advise) because my government doesn’t share my agenda. And he called it
moral posturing, I hope you don’t come back in the same vein. For me and
many in public interest advocacy it is an important principle, and I cant
let such formulations pass by..

It if fine for private parties to finance public functions and bodies where
there is a plurality – like a foundation funding a university program or an
NGO. It is also fine to extend part financing, under certain conditions, to
core public bodies which are monopolistic (states, UN bodies etc)  in their
constituency and mandate, but then the proportion of private funding needs
to be adequately low for any one interest group (as well as in total
proportion to public funds) , and it should be governed with strict rules of
propriety etc. Under such rules what recently happened at IGF would be
scandalous. In some countries it will veer towards criminal.

Many in the CS (outside the typical IG/IS groups) who are sometimes
suspicious of the term multistakeholder feel so because they known such
bodies can easily show tendencies to move towards ‘privatised governance’.
We may be realizing their worst fears.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore