[governance] Workshops for Rio

Mr. Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.info
Sat Jun 2 11:04:10 EDT 2007

Parminder:

Thanks for suggesting the topics in your earlier email.

A proposal - Let me suggest we develop a document that tries to
match topics the IG Caucus  might want to propose to the IGF mandate
(below) any decisions and/or recommendations already specified by the
IGF advisory group.

Given recent developments the issue of - cybersecurity -  comes up
quite often. It is an area where , in my opinion, capacity building
and multi-stakeholder dialogue could be quite strategic.

regards,

Robert
---
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.ca>
Managing Director, Privaterra
Tel +1 416 893 0377

--- IGF Mandate and comments for proposed topics for IGF/Rio (07) --

72. We ask the UN Secretary-General, in an open and inclusive
process, to convene, by the second quarter of 2006, a meeting of the
new forum for multi-stakeholder policy dialogue—called the Internet
Governance Forum (IGF).The mandate of the Forum is to:

1. Discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet
governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness,
security, stability and development of the Internet;

2. Facilitate discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-
cutting international public policies regarding the Internet and
discuss issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing body;

3. Interface with appropriate inter-governmental organizations and
other institutions on matters under their purview;
4. Facilitate the exchange of information and best practices, and in
this regard make full use of the expertise of the academic,
scientific and technical communities;

5. Advise all stakeholders in proposing ways and means to accelerate
the availability and affordability of the Internet in the developing
world;

6. Strengthen and enhance the engagement of stakeholders in existing
and/or future Internet governance mechanisms, particularly those from
developing countries;

7. Identify emerging issues, bring them to the attention of the
relevant bodies and the general public, and, where appropriate, make
recommendations;

8. Contribute to capacity building for Internet governance in
developing countries, drawing fully on local sources of knowledge and
expertise;

9. Promote and assess, on an ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS
principles in Internet governance processes;
10. Discuss, inter alia, issues relating to critical Internet resources;

11. Help to find solutions to the issues arising from the use and
misuse of the Internet, of particular concern to everyday users;
12. Publish its proceedings

     governance at lists.cpsr.org