[governance] Workshops for Rio

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 2 03:02:06 EDT 2007

Adam wrote
> I don't think we'll get the list of issue from the IGF mandate
> discussed in the main sessions, but no reason not to put in workshop
> proposals.

We did discuss in the run up to the Geneva consultations that if our theme
proposals for main sessions are not accepted we should consider sponsored
workshops on these issues.

And since 3 of the 4 themes we suggested are not on the list of main session
themes, we should propose them for workshops sponsored by the IGC. Apart
from getting what we in any case wanted to discuss into the IGF space, such
IGC sponsored workshops, which are well thought out, gives IGC a good
profile.

So, my proposal is that we propose workshops on

(1) Global Internet Public Policy - Issues and Institutions
(2) Global Internet policies Impacting Access to and Effective Use of the
Internet by Disadvantaged People and Groups - The Development Agenda in IG
(this can also build on the giganet session on a similar theme)
(3) The Role and Mandate of the IGF

We can seek other partners for these workshops, which I understand we need
to do to comply with the criterion for selection of workshops.

Other proposals for IGC sponsored workshops can also be considered.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890