AW: [governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Jun 1 05:33:18 EDT 2007

Dear list,

While I agree in principle with a certain form of a multistakeholder group, steering the process through the troubled waters (and I disagree with any idea to have seperate individual stakeholder groups) I would prefere to have a system where such a group is as transparent as possible and has "an open door" policy which would avoid that such a group becomes isolated and/or a source of mistrust by excluded groups, constituencies or individuals. There  is no need to have another "Politbureau".

The practice which has evolved in Geneva with open consultations and meetings of the IGF-AG (partly open to interested parties without speaking rights) is a useful practice which challenges also members of such a body to communicate permanently with the "rest of the world".

I also disagree with proposals to "negotiate" a final text. Looking into the reality such an effort will either produce nothing more than blabla or leads to a heated controversial debates which can provoke a new cold Internet war.

The idea I try to advertise is to generate - bottom up - a final document which is written by the participants themselves (something like "users generated content"). If each workshop and plenary produce one, two or three "messages" (which can reflect also controversial positions) this would constitute an interesting final document, a summary of the substance of the debate with some concrete recommendations to other institutions/organisations which have a policy development and decision making capacity, like ITU, ICANN, IETF or UNESCO (or national governments, private sector companies or NGOs). Such a document would have as many authors as there are workshops and plenaries. This would not, like Bill argued in the Geneva meeting, a transfer of negotiations into the workshops.  It would like the chair´s conclusion, which is also a non negotiated text. There should be some guidelines to the various chairs how such a "message" from the workshop/plenary should look like. Maxmimum of ten lines, clear points, pro & con etc.

Wolfgang

     governance at lists.cpsr.org