[governance] RE: [WSIS CS-Plenary] ECOSOC reviewing WSIS follow up and implementation: CSTD, UNGIS, ALF, IGF, GAID

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jul 9 05:20:18 EDT 2007

This is about enhanced cooperation process and the SG’s report to the ECOSOC
which will be considered later this month. The report has been forwarded by
Philippe with his email below.

> Internet Governance Forum and enhanced cooperation

>The SG Report states that WSIS “requested the Secretary-General to convene
the Internet Governance Forum, a new forum for multi-stakeholder policy
dialogue, to >discuss, inter alia, public policy issues related to Internet
governance in order to foster the sustainability, robustness, security,
stability and development of the >Internet. The inaugural meeting, entitled
“Internet governance for development”, was held in Athens from 30 October to
2 November 2006, and the second meeting is >scheduled to be held in Rio de
Janeiro from 12 to 15 November 2007. Consultations are under way to start a
process towards enhanced cooperation among all >relevant stakeholders with
regard to Internet governance, as requested by the Summit” (§ 14 of
E/2007/76).

Civil society, and IGC on its behalf and of itself, should obviously make a
comment that we are unaware of the consultation process being carried out,
and not only we have never been contacted, our official correspondence to
the special advisor to SG remains unanswered and un-acknowledged. We should
insist that the ‘consultations underway’ should include civil society and
this caucus. These consultations should involve CS especially because the
documents speaks of ‘towards enhanced cooperation among all >relevant
stakeholders with regard to Internet governance’ and obviously any enhanced
cooperation cannot involve all stakeholders when its preparatory doesn’t
involve all stakeholders.

CONGO is ready to include such language on behalf of CS and / or IGC if we
can agree on it, in its statement to the ECOSOC when this report is
considered with regard to its WSIS parts on 23rd this.

It is my personal opinion that something to the effect written by me above
is the least that IGC must say at the moment
. I will like to hear the views
of the other .

Are members willing to engage with this issue at all? If so, how?

Philippe can take in the views contributed on this list, and if there is a
fair consensus these can go on IGC’s behalf.

I must remind that the time is short.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore