[governance] My nomination statement for IGC Appeals Team

Rishi Chawla rishi at gipi.org.in
Wed Jan 24 11:34:26 EST 2007

Hello all,

Following is my statement and Bio-data for self nomination in the Appeals
Team

Thanks and regards

Rishi Chawla

Several of you might remember meeting me at the WSIS Geneva Prepcom or the
WSIS Tunis or at the IG Conference of DIPLO in Malta.

I am an ICT Consultant residing in New Delhi, India doing advocacy, policy,
regulatory and legal assignments globally. I am well connected with the ICT
Community in India (especially the industry, academia and the NGOs). My
multidisciplinary qualifications and exposure has facilitated me in working
on various assignments and projects related to development of Internet in
India. I have worked on the Policy, legal and technical issues of the
Internet.

I am the Country Co-ordinator of the GIPI project (Global Internet Policy
Initiative) which has the objective of improving Internet Penetration;
especially in the developing countries, through Policy and Legal Reforms by
involoving the stakeholders in India for Policy Consultations. I have been
involved in the Internet policy reforms in India, especially concerning
Legalising Internet Telephony, Opening up of the Wireless Internet etc.

I been associated with Internet Advocacy and Research projects for ISOC, The
ResPUBLICA, DIPLO Foundation, Malta, Center for Communications Law & Policy
Research, Internews, APNIC, APC, Computer Society of India, APDIP, ISP
Association of India, National Internet Exchange of India etc. In
association with the APC (Association for Proressive Communications), I
organised the first "ICT Policy Workshop for the Civil Society in the South
Asia"

I have been a founding member and director of National Internet Exchange of
India and .IN ccTLD Registry. I have also represented on several committees
on behalf of the Civil Society.

I have been recently elected as Treasurer, Computer Society of India.

Because of my analytical skills, technical knowledge and excellent
communication skills I consider myself as an effective and efficient
candidate for the IGC Appeals team.  I do not come with a specific agenda or
mind frame to the Appeals team. I am of the firm belief that any ICT policy
and governance should be made through effective, transparent and unbiased
consultations with the Community . I stronlgy advocate the representation of
the Asian region in all the international policy making processes and that
is true for Internet also. My motivation for nomination in IGC Appeals Team
is also representing the point of view of the Asian Internet Community in
the global policy development.

You can read more about me at

http://www.connect-world.com/Articles/2006/AP_I-11-RishiChawla.htm

and also at www.wgig.org/docs/Bio-Chawla.htm