[governance] Action on Enhanced Cooperation, please

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Jan 15 10:12:36 EST 2007

Hi,

> ...but? I agree they'd be shorter though. I didn't like the idea of a
> journalist being the one to decide who gets to speak and who doesn't,
> based on, well, how spectacular that intervention would look to him.

I like the idea to have sessions moderated by journalists who have no
personal stake in the topic of the session and who are trained to ask
tough questions. The downside of this format seem to be the cultural
bias of the "hardtalk" approach and perhaps the dependence on the skills
of the journalists. This kind of grilling isn't common in many political
cultures, is it?

>  > Internet resources
>> ("ICANN") should be discussed.
>
> On this specific point, we should be aware that there is going to be a
> hard contraposition (perhaps the hardest around) between those countries
> who really want ICANN discussed in Rio, and those countries that really
> do not want ICANN discussed in Rio, and want to discuss it in the
> "enhanced cooperation" process instead.
>
> I'm not sure that we'd want to marry either side too strongly; I'd
> personally be happy by restating that civil society wants to be involved
> in this wherever it happens, as we are now about to tell Nitin in writing.

I don't think that Internet resources/ICANN should be discussed only in
the "enhanced cooperation" process. First, no IG related topic should be
excluded from the forum. The credibility of the forum depends on its
openness and its neutrality.
Second, the status of civil  society is much more contested in the
enhanced cooperation process than regarding the forum. We have good
reasons to defend in our own right Internet resources as a topic in the
forum. It doesn't mean we have to marry anyone.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org