[governance] Enhanced Cooperation

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Wed Jan 10 16:18:20 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

On 1/10/07 12:36 PM, "michael_leibrandt at web.de" <michael_leibrandt at web.de>
wrote:

> just in case some people knowing me find it frightening to see my name popping
> up at a civil society list: after nine years of service as the german gac rep,
> i left the ict directorate of the federal economics ministry with the
> beginning of 2007. though still in the administration, i‚m  professionally now

Nice to see you here, but pity that a number of the governmental folks who
made things interesting (including for the USG) have moved on to greener
pastures...

One comment:

> consultation, not participation - is such a delicate political challenge, that
> it would be naive to expect openness and transparancy at all stages of the
> process. imagine that the present or another usg would start thinking about a
> new oversight modell for the root zone (e. g. the famous root zone council
> model): is it realistic to believe that civil society reps would be invited to
> the initial rounds of negotiations? is it realistic to believe that even all
> governments would be invited? i don‚t think so. what does this mean for the
> proposed letter to nitin: well, it‚s an important signal and should be sent
> out, because he has a role to play regarding 68. but don‚t expect an answer
> that gives you the full picture∑

I suspect everyone understands this and privately has realistic
expectations, but it doesn't hurt for CS to periodically show we're alive
and publicly be a bit unrealistic in hopes of pushing the envelope a little.
That's what pressure groups are supposed to do, no?  Sometimes it even makes
for better outcomes than unquestioned closed processes...

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org