[governance] remote particpation

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Feb 16 04:29:17 EST 2007

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>> I mean, as much as possible, please use the
>> proven standard method for the remote participation.
>
> This tends to clash with 1) general lack of funds, and 2) the
> appropriateness of using proprietary solutions rather than
> free-as-in-free-speech ones in this environment.

Does "the proven standard method" have to mean a proprietary
implementation?  The (LS)3 team are far *more* fastidious about
standards compliance than proprietary vendors tend to be.  In Athens,
only Microsoft Windows users were able to access the webcasting stream.
  For the latest consultation, it was accessible on all major OS
platforms using standards-compliant client software.

Even so the (LS)3 team hope to do better next time, and to this end have
indicated they intend to join the Online Collaboration Dynamic Coalition
to work more closely together with others working on remote
participation, to help us out and enlist our help, and to share ideas
ahead of the next IGF consultation or meeting.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org