[governance] Coordinators' call on the statement for Feb 13

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Mon Feb 12 12:44:43 EST 2007

All,

Parminder and I have consulted and have come to a final call on the
matter of our statement for tomorrow:

1) There is sufficient support for us to make the statement (as it was
put forward for the consensus call).

Given that this is the first time, and it was a learning process for us
all, I hope that everyone understood that a "consensus call" is not a
call for further amendments, but a straw poll to understand whether the
work as it stands is sufficiently satisfying to everyone to be released
as a group product. In this respect, we saw just one person asking for
further significant edits before giving support, while most others
seemed to support it in the general sense, and so our call is that there
is rough consensus.

This does not mean that the changes that were proposed in these 48 hours
were not good - personally, I found many of them quite agreeable - but
we considered that by incorporating them at this point in time, we would
be making our own process moot. So we decided to stick with the process.
Perhaps, for the next time, we will try to have more time for the
discussion and one more round of editing, but, on the other hand, it's
well recognized that we all are busy and tend to mobilize only when very
near to deadlines :)

However, I think that this still leaves me the freedom to do
non-substantial changes such as refining the English, so I'll do that if
I can.

2) There is not enough consensus to add the extra text on ICANN.

In the end, given the reactions (averagely positive, but with strong
objections as well), we decided that it would be better to keep the
existing language on such a sensitive matter. This does not prevent all
those who spoke strongly in favour or strongly against from doing so
tomorrow in their own (or their organizations') capacity.

Regards,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------