[governance] Re: Fully Internationalized-Canonical-Order IDNs

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Sun Feb 11 16:34:59 EST 2007

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:07:32AM -0800,
 yehudakatz at mailinator.com <yehudakatz at mailinator.com> wrote
 a message of 116 lines which said:

> Could you please tell me if you are aware of an RFC or Other
> Proposal for the Conical Name Order ?EXTENTIONS? for iDNS or Other
> Formats?  [m17n, i18n, L10n or other basis/ e.g.:
> Internationalization Tag Set (ITS)].

I must confess that it is not very clear for me...

> I am looking for a List similar to:
>   Country Codes from ISO 3166

Unfortunately, no, there is no Unicode equivalent of ISO 3166 and Vint
Cerf, among other ICANNers, often used that as a way to delay the
introduction of IDNs in the root zone.

>     http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1700/39.htm

That list is old! Do not use!

> Expl.: Big5, CJK, English, etc.  Iterations

Again, sorry, but this is undecipherable.

> Is a fundamental-problem, getting a fully
> internationalized-canonical-order IDN to work with DNSSEC ?

No, since DNSSEC signs the ACE (ASCII-compatible encoding) form,
anyway. Remember: IDN is completely outside of the DNS.

> Ref.: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2535.html

Again: very old reference. The RFC on DNSSEC is RFC 4033.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org