[governance] Statement for Feb 13, version 2

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sun Feb 11 05:24:29 EST 2007

William Drake ha scritto:
> unless I'm misremembering, post-WSIS we didn't manage to submit any written
> inputs for the prior IGF consultations or for Athens.

(except for the Nomcom process to the first AG)

> We've repeatedly had
> texts rushed together at the 11th hour which were then picked apart with
> person x wanting change to provisions 1, 3, 5 and person y liking 1, 3, 5
> but wanting change to 2, 4, etc until we just deadlocked.  Everyone can
> quibble with parts of Vittorio's statement; there's certainly a number of
> things I'd prefer be changed too, if we had time.  Since we don't, can we
> maybe try to live with something that doesn't perfectly reflect each of our
> first preferences and get something submitted?  It'd be helpful to the IGF's
> planning for the caucus to raise some concerns, particularly if these are
> not expressed by other inputs.

I agree. This is the first time that I manage this process as
coordinator, and everything can be made better, but we had a first draft
and comments out there for ten days or so, we had a deadline, then a
second draft reflecting the sense of the discussion, and a consensus
call. Apart from a couple of minor last minute additions, everything was
on the list for some time, even if I understand that we all are very
busy, traveling etc. We decided to have a charter exactly to have a
formalized process for a number of things, and I'm keen on following
it... and if people disagree with our calls, we even have a brand new
appeals team :-)
In the end, there is an intrinsic value to all of us in making a
statement. Possibly it'd also help us to be taken more seriously.

 > Maybe just clean up the English a little...?

Any specific suggestion (in private as well) would be welcome.
Thanks,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------