[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Thu Feb 8 11:46:33 EST 2007

At 10:42 AM 2/8/2007  +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
 > Many TLDs are still operated on a free, voluntary basis, either by
individuals or with public support.

Vittorio, could you provide some data for "many TLDs" which are
operated on a free basis?

>There are plenty of similar services in other fields (e.g. where
>technical capability and a certain amount of money to support growth
>are necessary, but the overall concept is a non-profit community
>getting organized to support the free service) and many of them work
>well and reliably, even more reliably than commercial counterparts.
>Did you ever hear about Wikipedia? :) (And what if people were
>required to pay 250'000$ to open a new language version of
>Wikipedia, just as an "application processing fee", without even
>getting servers and hosting in exchange?)

It's not right to compare apples with pears. Comparing a TLD to
Wikipedia could be quite misleading, esp. if we think about Larry
Sander, Jimmy Wales, and what would have happened if someone from the
current TLDs have decided to split, and split the TLDs:)

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org