[governance] ICANN taxes/fees

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Feb 8 04:42:19 EST 2007

Veni Markovski ha scritto:
> I am not as sure as you are about it. But I am more interested in the
> business model, not in the technical one. Technically one can probably
> do anything. But running a business is not that easy, and earlier in
> the conversation we talked about running a registry, which is running
> a business, not running a server.

I still don't see why, if the conditions are clear (e.g. no customer
service, no SLAs, etc.). There are plenty of non-business DNS services
(or pro-bono free offerings by businesses) that have been offering for
free, for many years, not just free domain names (www.eu.org), but free
DNS servers (http://soa.granitecanyon.com/). Many TLDs are still
operated on a free, voluntary basis, either by individuals or with
public support.

There are plenty of similar services in other fields (e.g. where
technical capability and a certain amount of money to support growth are
necessary, but the overall concept is a non-profit community getting
organized to support the free service) and many of them work well and
reliably, even more reliably than commercial counterparts. Did you ever
hear about Wikipedia? :) (And what if people were required to pay
250'000$ to open a new language version of Wikipedia, just as an
"application processing fee", without even getting servers and hosting
in exchange?)

Moreover, the idea that, since you can make money with it, no one could
or even should do it for free is quite troublesome to me.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org